Sliced Pumpkin Tart
|Sugar pumpkin/Calabasa / winter squash||3 Pound (1 small size)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Apricot preserves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baked 9 inch tart shell||1|
|Coarsely chopped walnuts||1 Tablespoon|
1) Clean the pumpkins, by scrubbing and rinsing it.
2) Cut the pumpkins in quarters, remove and discard the seeds and pulp.
3) In a 5-quart Dutch oven, place the pumpkins, shell side down with 1 cup water.
4) Dredge the pumpkin with 1/4 cup sugar.
5) Put the lid on and cook over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender.
6) Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes over a wire rack.
7) Reserve the drippings from the pumpkins and add enough cooking liquid to make 1/2 cup.
8) In a saucepan, place together cinnamon, cornstarch and slowly stir in the reserved 1/2 cup liquid.
9) Heat the mixture and boil, stirring until thickened.
10) Take the pan off the heat and mix in apricot preserves.
11) Peel off the pumpkin pieces.
12) Cut the pumpkin pieces into 2-inch-wide strips.
13) Further slice crosswise into 1/8 inch-thick pieces.
14) Place 2 cups of pumpkin into tart shell, and flatten. Top with half of sauce.
15) Put the remaining pumpkin over the sauce in concentric circles.
16) Spoon the remaining sauce over it.
17) Dredge with chopped walnuts.
18) Place the tart in refrigerator until chilled through for 2 to 3 hours.
19) Slice in wedges and serve cold dust with icing sugar and scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
Calories 206 Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.6%
Saturated Fat 0.81 g4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4 mg1.3%
Sodium 15.4 mg0.6%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g7%
Sugars 26.8 g
Protein 3 g6.1%
Vitamin A 337.8% Vitamin C 48.2%
Calcium 5.4% Iron 10.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet