Alpine Onion Tarts
|Piecrust mix||8 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Dairy sour cream||16 Ounce (1 1/2 Cups / 1 Carton)|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon, grated|
|Swiss cheese||1⁄2 Pound, cut in 1/2 inch cubes|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
1. Preheat the oven at (450°).
2. Prepare piecrust mix, as per label directions or make pastry from the two crust of your choice.
3. On a lightly floured pastry cloth or board roll out, half at a time, 1/8-inch thick and cut 3 six-inch rounds from each half using a saucer as it makes a good pattern.
4. Into a 4-inch tart-shell pan, fit each round pressing pastry firmly against bottom and side.
5. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch, turn edge under, flush with rim and flute to make a stand-up edge.
6. Prick shells well all over with a fork.
7. Bake shells in very hot preheated oven for 5 minutes and remove from oven.
8. Lower oven temperature to slow (325°).
9. In a small frying pan saute onion in butter or margarine until soft and spoon into partly baked shells, dividing evenly.
10. In a medium-size bowl beat egg yolks slightly, stir in sour cream, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
11. Set aside 18 swiss cheese cubes, then fold remainder into egg mixture and spoon over onion in tart shells.
12. Bake in slow oven (325°) 15 minutes.
13. In a medium-size bowl beat egg whites until they form soft peaks.
14. Remove tarts from oven, spoon beaten egg whites over each, swirling with back of spoon and top each with 3 of the saved cheese cubes.
15. Bake in slow oven (325°) 10 minutes until tops are golden and cheese melts.
16. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Calories 800 Calories from Fat 451
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.8%
Saturated Fat 29.8 g148.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 343.8 mg114.6%
Sodium 769.2 mg32%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.4%
Sugars 9.5 g
Protein 34 g67.3%
Vitamin A 38% Vitamin C 16.4%
Calcium 70.7% Iron 40.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet