Orange You A Gorgeous Tart
|Cake flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|70% buttermilk vegetable oil spread||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cut into pieces and chilled|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|Fat free sweetened condensed milk||14 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Plain low-fat yogurt||8 Ounce (1 Container)|
|Fresh lemon juice||6 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons)|
|Grated orange zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pistachio nuts||1 Teaspoon, chopped (For Garnish)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
2) To make the crust, stir together both the flours, salt and sugar in a medium bowl.
3) Use a party blender, 2 knives as scissors or your fingertips, to cut in the vegetable oil till the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
4) Sprinkle the mixture with 2 tablespoons of cold water and lightly toss with a fork to moisten. Gather the mixture into a ball.
5) Roll out the dough into a round of 10-inches on a lightly floured waxed paper.
6) Into a 9-inch tart pan, invert the waxed paper with the dough. The pan should have a removable bottom.
7) Peel the wax paper off and fit the dough into the bottom as well as up the sides of the pan. Use your hands to easily patch any broken pieces. Trim the edges. Use a fork to prick the bottom of the crust in various places.
8) Bake the crust in the preheated oven for about 12 to 15 minutes, till it is light brown in color. Transfer the pan to wire rack and cool.
9) To make the filling, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, yogurt, lemon juice and orange zest in a medium bowl.
10) In a small heatproof bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 2 tablespoons of cold water. Allow to stand for about 3 minutes, till softened.
11) In a skillet of simmering water, set the bowl and stir till the gelatin has dissolved completely.
12) Into the condensed milk, whisk the dissolved gelatin and pour the concoction into the tart shell. Use a rubber spatula to spread evenly.
13) Refrigerate till firm, about 60 minutes.
14) Peel the orange and remove all the bitter white pith.
15) Cut the oranges in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into thin slices.
16) On top of the filling, arrange the orange semicircles, slightly overlapping, in concentric rings.
17) Remove the side of the tart pan, sprinkle pistachio nuts all over the tart (if preferred) and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. Makes a great dessert.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2540 Calories from Fat 434
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g75.4%
Saturated Fat 9.8 g49%
Trans Fat 2.9 g
Cholesterol 63.6 mg21.2%
Sodium 1166.9 mg48.6%
Total Carbohydrates 462 g153.9%
Dietary Fiber 28 g112.1%
Sugars 314.2 g
Protein 74 g148.3%
Vitamin A 89.6% Vitamin C 693%
Calcium 179.6% Iron 15.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet