|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 , slightly beaten|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Orange peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Whole blanched almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs), ground (Blanched)|
|Almond macaroons||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), crushed|
|Whipped cream||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
To Make Pastry:
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour with 1/4 cup sugar and the lemon peel.
3. With pastry blender or two knives cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
4. Stir in egg yolk with hands and knead into a ball.
5. Press evenly onto bottom and side, not on rim, of 9-inch pie plate and refrigerate 1 hour.
To Make Filling:
6. In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks with 1/3 cup water, 3/4 cup sugar, the orange peel, almond extract, heavy cream, almonds and macaroons.
7. With rotary beater, beat until well combined.
8. Turn into chilled pie shell and bake for 1 hour just until filling is set in center when pie is gently shaken.
9. Cool completely on wire rack and then refrigerate until chilled—at least 2 hours.
10. Decorate with rosettes of whipped cream, garnish with strips of citron or angelica and serve.