Apricot Almond Tart
|Cold butter||6 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||1 , beaten|
|Ice water||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried apricots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), snipped|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Corn syrup||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
1. In a medium bowl, using a pastry blender, cut cold butter into flour till pieces are the size of small peas. In a small bowl combine the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of the ice water. Gradually stir the yolk mixture into flour mixture. Sprinkle 1 more tablespoon ice water over mixture, gently tossing with a fork. Repeat with the remaining ice water till all of mixture is moistened. Gently knead the dough just till a ball forms.
2. On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough with hands. Roll dough from center to edges, forming a circle about 11 inches in diameter.
3. To transfer pastry, roll it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom or a 9-inch pie plate. Ease the pastry into pan, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim edges of pastry even with the pan or plate. Line the pastry shell with a double thickness of foil to prevent it from puffing. Bake in 450° oven for 10 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or till pastry is nearly done. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
4. For the filling, in a small saucepan combine the snipped dried apricots and enough water to cover. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; drain. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the beaten eggs, corn syrup, sugar, and melted butter. Gently stir in the drained apricots and almonds.
5. Place the baked crust on a baking sheet. Carefully spoon almond filling into the crust. Bake in the 325° oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Place the tart pan or pie plate on a wire rack and cool completely.
6. If using the tart pan, remove sides of pan. To serve, cut tart into wedges. If desired, top each serving with whipped cream.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4377 Calories from Fat 1588
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 184 g282.8%
Saturated Fat 71.8 g358.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 866.1 mg288.7%
Sodium 1015.6 mg42.3%
Total Carbohydrates 660 g219.9%
Dietary Fiber 26.4 g105.6%
Sugars 399 g
Protein 65 g129.3%
Vitamin A 120.9% Vitamin C 1.1%
Calcium 58.1% Iron 96.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet