Apricot Almond Tart
|Cold butter||6 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||1 , beaten|
|Ice water||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried apricots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), snipped|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Corn syrup||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
1. In a medium bowl, using a pastry blender, cut cold butter into flour till pieces are the size of small peas. In a small bowl combine the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of the ice water. Gradually stir the yolk mixture into flour mixture. Sprinkle 1 more tablespoon ice water over mixture, gently tossing with a fork. Repeat with the remaining ice water till all of mixture is moistened. Gently knead the dough just till a ball forms.
2. On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough with hands. Roll dough from center to edges, forming a circle about 11 inches in diameter.
3. To transfer pastry, roll it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom or a 9-inch pie plate. Ease the pastry into pan, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim edges of pastry even with the pan or plate. Line the pastry shell with a double thickness of foil to prevent it from puffing. Bake in 450° oven for 10 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or till pastry is nearly done. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
4. For the filling, in a small saucepan combine the snipped dried apricots and enough water to cover. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; drain. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the beaten eggs, corn syrup, sugar, and melted butter. Gently stir in the drained apricots and almonds.
5. Place the baked crust on a baking sheet. Carefully spoon almond filling into the crust. Bake in the 325° oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Place the tart pan or pie plate on a wire rack and cool completely.
6. If using the tart pan, remove sides of pan. To serve, cut tart into wedges. If desired, top each serving with whipped cream.