Italian Tomato Ricotta and Basil Tart
|For 1 pie shell|
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Cold butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut up (2 Sticks)|
|Cold water||5 Tablespoon|
|Roma tomatoes||8 , sliced thin|
|Fresh ricotta cheese||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Grated cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh mozzarella||1⁄2 Pound, diced|
|Chopped fresh basil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
Method for tart dough:
1) Begin by making tart dough. In a bowl place the flour salt,sugar and butter. Mix with a pastry cutter or hands, until it resembles
2) Gradually add in the 5 Tbls of cold water. Gather the dough into a flat disk and place in the refrigerator to harden slightly.
3) On a lightly floured surface,roll out the dough large enough to fit into a 12’’ removable tart pan.
4) Prick the dough with a fork and place foil over the dough and blind bake until the crust is golden. About 15 to 20 minutes.
While dough is baking prepare the filling.
Method for filling:
5) In a bowl place the ricotta,eggs,grated cheese,salt and pepper and
mix well. Add fresh basil and mozzarrella and taste for seasoning.
Method for assembling tart:
6) Lay tomato slices concentrically in the bottom of the baked
7) Spread the filling over the tomato slices. Then place the remaining tomato slices in concentric circles on top of the filling. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and cracked black pepper.
8) Place the tart into a 350 degree oven and bake for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. (The middlle should puff up slightly). Cool slightly before cutting.
This video is a creation of chef-ellie-espo. You can visit chef-ellie-espo for complete recipes, and more videos.
Calories 1397 Calories from Fat 760
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 86 g132.8%
Saturated Fat 52.8 g264%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 364.5 mg121.5%
Sodium 1492.3 mg62.2%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33.1%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.3%
Sugars 18.2 g
Protein 61 g122.5%
Vitamin A 109.6% Vitamin C 54.8%
Calcium 76.6% Iron 28.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet