Tomato Basil Tart is a savory tart for brunch or a light lunch entrée.
A good way to use your garden tomatoes. The Tomato Basil Tart is wonderfully filled and flavoured with tomatoes, fresh ricotta, fresh mozzarella and chopped fresh basil. Try out these amazing tarts and enjoy!
For 1 pie shell
2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs), cut up (2 Sticks)
8 , sliced thin
Fresh ricotta cheese
3 Cup (48 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1⁄2 Pound, diced
Chopped fresh basil
1 Cup (16 tbs)
Freshly ground pepper
Method for tart dough:
1) Begin by making tart dough. In a bowl place the flour salt,sugar and butter. Mix with a pastry cutter or hands, until it resembles
2) Gradually add in the 5 Tbls of cold water. Gather the dough into a flat disk and place in the refrigerator to harden slightly.
3) On a lightly floured surface,roll out the dough large enough to fit into a 12’’ removable tart pan.
4) Prick the dough with a fork and place foil over the dough and blind bake until the crust is golden. About 15 to 20 minutes.
While dough is baking prepare the filling.
Method for filling:
5) In a bowl place the ricotta,eggs,grated cheese,salt and pepper and
mix well. Add fresh basil and mozzarrella and taste for seasoning.
Method for assembling tart:
6) Lay tomato slices concentrically in the bottom of the baked
7) Spread the filling over the tomato slices. Then place the remaining tomato slices in concentric circles on top of the filling. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and cracked black pepper.
8) Place the tart into a 350 degree oven and bake for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. (The middlle should puff up slightly). Cool slightly before cutting.
This video is a creation of chef-ellie-espo. You can visit chef-ellie-espo for complete recipes, and more videos.
There are some ingredient combinations that create magic, like tomato, ricotta and basil. This savory, quiche like tart makes the perfect summer brunch or a light lunch entrée and it a great way to use the abundance or summer garden tomatoes. Wonderfully filled with plum Roma tomatoes, fresh ricotta and mozzarella and eggs and flavored with chopped sweet basil, this tart looks, smells and taste like summer!