Orange And Strawberry Tart With Candied Bell Pepper Caramel
|10 inch frozen puff pastry sheet||1|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dark brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Strawberries||2 Pint, rinsed, dried, and hulled|
|Candied bell pepper caramel||1|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), gently whipped to soft peaks|
1. Assemble the mise en place trays.
2. Let the puff pastry thaw at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Roll out the puff pastry between two sheets of wax paper to about 1/8 inch thick. Lay on a baking sheet, cover with wax paper, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
4. To make the filling, remove the zest from the oranges and put in a bowl. Be sure to peel only the colorful zest— not the bitter white pith.
5. Holding each one over the bowl with the zest, peel the oranges and cut between the membranes to separate into sections. Let the sections and any juice fall into the bowl. Discard the membrane and seeds. Set aside.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator. Place on a board and invert a 10-inch plate over the pastry. With a pastry cutter or sharp knife, cut around the plate to make a 10-inch circle. Carefully transfer the pastry to a nonstick baking sheet, lifting it gently or using spatulas to guide it. Using the point of a sharp knife, prick holes in a circular pattern over the entire surface of the pastry. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
8. Sprinkle half the sugar mixture over the pastry circle. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Remove the pastry but do not turn off the oven.
9. Using a spatula, carefully slide the baked crust onto a flat plate. Lay the baking sheet over the plate and invert the pastry onto it, so that the bottom is facing up. Sprinkle the pasrry with the remaining sugar mixture. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes longer, or until golden brown.
10. Allow the pastry to cool for 5 minutes and then carefully slide it onto a cake platter.
11. Warm the Candied Bell Pepper Caramel in a small nonreactive saucepan over low heat.
12. Spread the whipped cream over the pastry. Arrange the strawberries, points up, in 2 rows around the edge of the pastry. Mound the orange sections, zest, and juices in a heap in the center of the pastry so that the casual look of the oranges contrasts with the neat rows of strawberries. Pour the warm Candied Bell Pepper Caramel over the fruit. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve immediately.