orange Sweetheart Tart
|Granulated sugar||7 Ounce (200 Gram, Scant 1 Cup)|
|Orange juice||8 Fluid Ounce, strained (250 Milliliter, 1 Cup)|
|Navel oranges||2 Large|
|Blanched almonds||3 Ounce (75 Gram, 3/4 Cup)|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram, 1/4 Cup)|
|All purpose flour||15 Milliliter (Plain, 1 Tablespoon)|
|Apricot jam||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|All purpose flour||6 Ounce (Plain, 175 Gram, 1 1/2 Cups)|
|Butter||3 Ounce, diced (75 Gram, 6 Tablespoon)|
|Water||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the water and mix to a dough. Knead on a floured surface for a few seconds until smooth. Wrap the dough in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes.
2. After the pastry has rested, roll it out on a floured surface to a thickness of 5mm/1/4in. Use to line a 20cm/8in heart-shaped tart tin. Trim the edges and chill until required.
3. Put 150g/5oz/3/4 cup of the sugar into a pan and pour in the orange juice. Bring to the boil and boil steadily for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid is thick and syrupy.
4. Cut the oranges into 5mm/1/4 slices, leaving the peel on. Add to the syrup. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, or until glazed. Transfer the slices to a wire rack to dry. When cool, cut in half. Reserve the orange syrup. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6, with a baking sheet placed in it.
5. Grind the almonds finely in a food processor, blender or nut grinder. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and 30ml/2 tbsp of the orange syrup. Add the ground almonds and mix well, then add the flour.
6. Melt the jam over a low heat, then brush it evenly over the inside of the pastry case. Pour in the almond mixture. Bake for 20 minutes, or until set. Leave to cool in the tin.
7. Starting at the top of the heart shape and working down to the point, arrange overlapping orange slices on top of the tart. Boil the remaining syrup until thick. Brush on top to glaze.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3437 Calories from Fat 1440
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 166 g255.2%
Saturated Fat 78.1 g390.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 516.3 mg172.1%
Sodium 1088.4 mg45.3%
Total Carbohydrates 461 g153.6%
Dietary Fiber 23 g92.2%
Sugars 284.1 g
Protein 51 g101.1%
Vitamin A 104.9% Vitamin C 588.1%
Calcium 47.1% Iron 76.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet