Icebox Sand Tarts
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter stick||16 Ounce, softened|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
1. Set aside 2 tablespoons sugar. Separate 1 egg; cover and refrigerate yolk. In a large bowl, beat remaining sugar, egg white, remaining whole egg, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
2. Beat in flour mixed with baking powder, baking soda, and salt until dough is smooth, scraping down side of bowl frequently with a rubber spatula.
3. Divide dough into 2 pieces. With palms of hands, roll each dough piece into a log 2 inches thick. Wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours, or overnight.
4. When ready to bake cookies, preheat oven to 350°F. Thinly slice dough roll crosswise to make paper-thin cookies. Place cookies 1 inch apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Beat reserved yolk. With tip of a spoon, place a dot of egg yolk in center of each cookie. Combine reserved sugar and cinnamon; stir to mix well. Sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar onto each dab of egg yolk.
5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until firm and very lightly browned around edges. Remove cookies to a rack and let cool completely. Store in a tightly covered container.