Caramelized Onion Tart
|Butter||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Gram / 1 Tablespoon)|
|Olive oil||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Onions||1 1⁄4 Pound, sliced (500 Gram)|
|Grated nutmeg||1 1⁄4 Pinch (1 Large Pinch)|
|Soft dark brown sugar||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Single light cream||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter / 2/3 Cup)|
|Grated gruyere cheese||2 Ounce (50 Gram / 1/2 Cup)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Plain flour||3 Ounce (75 Gram / 2/3 Cup, All Purpose)|
|Wholemeal flour||3 Ounce (75 Gram / 2/3 Cup, Whole Wheat)|
|Butter||3 Ounce, diced (75 Gram / 6 Tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, mix the plain and wholemeal flours together in a large mixing bowl. Use your fingertips to rub in the butter or cut it in with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the egg yolk and enough chilled water to form a firm dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface.
2. Knead the dough and gather it into a smooth ball, then wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the filling. Heat the butter and oil in a large, heavy frying pan. Cook the onions over a low heat for 30 minutes until soft and translucent, stirring often. Stir in the nutmeg, sugar and seasoning, and gently cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the onions have caramelized. Cool slightly.
4. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/ Gas 7. Lightly grease a loose-based 35 x 12cm/14 x 4 1/2in fluted tranche tin. Roll out the pastry and use to line the tin. Trim, then chill for 20 minutes.
5. Prick the pastry base, then line with foil and baking beans. Bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and beans, then spoon in the onions.
6. Beat the eggs with the cream, add the cheese and season to taste. Pour the mixture over the onions and bake for 30 minutes until set. Serve warm.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2458 Calories from Fat 1491
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 169 g259.9%
Saturated Fat 93.2 g465.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 954.6 mg318.2%
Sodium 614.6 mg25.6%
Total Carbohydrates 194 g64.6%
Dietary Fiber 22.5 g90%
Sugars 30.8 g
Protein 56 g111.4%
Vitamin A 88.4% Vitamin C 71.5%
Calcium 35.3% Iron 41.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet