Cranberry Apple Tart
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Red currant jelly||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cranberries||12 Ounce (1 Package Fresh Or Frozen)|
|Apple||1 , peeled. cored and chopped|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped or ground|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Prepare the Cranberry Filling: Combine the water, sugar and jelly in a medium-size saucepan. Heat to melt the jelly and dissolve the sugar. Bring the mixture to boiling; add the cranberries and the apple. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until the cranberries pop and the mixture thickens slightly, for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool completely.
2. Prepare the Tart Shell: Cut the butter into the flour in a medium-size bowl with a pastry blender until crumbly. Mix in the sugar, nuts and cinnamon. Add the egg yolks; mix lightly with a fork just until the pastry holds together and cleans the side of the bowl. Press the dough over the bottom and up the side of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Prick the bottom all over with a fork. Refrigerate the tart shell for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to moderate (375°).
4. Bake the tart shell in the preheated moderate oven (375°) for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool the tart shell completely.
5. Spoon the cooled Cranberry Filling into the cooled pastry shell.
6. Preheat the oven to hot (400°).
7. Prepare the Meringue: Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar in a medium-size bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the 1/2 cup sugar until stiff, but not dry, peaks form. Spread half the meringue over the top of the tart. Pipe the remaining meringue in a lattice pattern over the top.
8. Place the tart in the preheated hot oven (400°) for 3 to 6 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Decorate the top with additional cranberries, if you wish.