Rustic Apple Tart
|Cooking apples||2 Pound, peeled, quartered and cored (900 Gram)|
|Lemon juice||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram, 3 Tablespoon)|
|Creme fraiche/Lightly whipped cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Serving)|
|All purpose flour||8 Ounce (Plain, 225 Gram, 2 Cups)|
|Superfine caster sugar||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Butter||5 Ounce, diced (150 Gram, 2/3 Cup)|
|Chilled water||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour, salt and sugar into a bowl. Rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Combine the egg and water, sprinkle over the dry ingredients and mix to a dough. Knead for a few seconds until smooth. Wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Slice the apple quarters and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and sugar, and toss to combine.
3. Melt the butter in a large heavy frying pan over a medium heat and add the apples. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 12 minutes until the apples are just turning golden brown. Remove the frying pan from the heat and set aside. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5.
4. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a 30cm/12in round and trim the edge if uneven. Carefully transfer the pastry to a baking sheet. Heap the apple slices on the pastry, leaving a 5cm/2in border all round the edge of the pastry.
5. Gather the pastry border around the apple slices, enclosing those closest to the rim and leaving the centre open. Bake the tart for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden brown. Serve warm, with creme fraiche or whipped cream.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2935 Calories from Fat 1543
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 175 g269.6%
Saturated Fat 96.7 g483.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 581.3 mg193.8%
Sodium 297 mg12.4%
Total Carbohydrates 322 g107.3%
Dietary Fiber 28 g111.8%
Sugars 110.4 g
Protein 33 g66.5%
Vitamin A 106.3% Vitamin C 81%
Calcium 15.3% Iron 67%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet