Lemony Treacle Tart
|Golden syrup||9 1⁄2 Ounce (260 gram / generous 3/4 cup, light corn)|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||3 Ounce (75 gram / 1 1/2 cups)|
|Lemon||1 , rind grated|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon (30 milliliter)|
|All purpose flour||5 Ounce (150 gram / 1 1/4 cups)|
|Butter||4 1⁄2 Ounce, chilled, diced (130 gram / 9 tablespoon)|
|Water||60 Gram, chilled (4 tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
2. With a fork, stir in just enough water to bind the dough. Gather into a smooth ball, knead lightly for a few seconds until smooth then wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for at least 20 minutes.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a thickness of 3mm/1/8 in. Transfer to a 20cm/8in fluted flan tin (quiche pan) and trim off the overhang. Chill the pastry case for 20 minutes. Reserve the pastry trimmings.
4. Put a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. To make the filling, warm the syrup in a pan until it melts.
5. Remove the syrup from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs and lemon rind. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then add more breadcrumbs if the mixture is too thin and moist. Stir in the lemon juice, then spread the mixture evenly in the pastry case.
6. Roll out the pastry trimmings and cut into 10-12 thin strips.
7. Twist the strips into spirals, then lay half of them on the filling. Arrange the remaining strips at right angles to form a lattice. Press the ends on to the rim.
8. Place the tart on the hot baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 190°C/375°F/ Gas 5. Bake for 15 minutes more, until golden. Serve warm with custard.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2429 Calories from Fat 1162
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 129 g199%
Saturated Fat 71.8 g358.8%
Trans Fat 3.6 g
Cholesterol 274.3 mg91.4%
Sodium 2821.9 mg117.6%
Total Carbohydrates 296 g98.8%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g34.9%
Sugars 98.1 g
Protein 30 g60.4%
Vitamin A 64.2% Vitamin C 97.4%
Calcium 29% Iron 56.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet