Date And Almond Tart
|Butter||3 1⁄2 Ounce (90 Gram, Scant 1/2 Cup)|
|Caster sugar||3 1⁄2 Ounce (90 Gram, 7 Tablespoon)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Ground almonds||3 1⁄2 Ounce (90 Gram, Scant 1 Cup)|
|Plain flour||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Orange flower water||30 Milliliter|
|Fresh dates||13 , halved and stoned|
|Apricot jam||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Place a baking sheet in the oven. Sift the flour into a bowl, add the butter and work with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and a tablespoon of cold water, then work to a smooth dough.
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 20 cm / 8 in tart tin. Prick the base with a fork, then chill until needed.
3. To make the filling, cream the butter and sugar until light, then beat in the egg. Stir in the ground almonds, flour and 15 ml / 1 tbsp of the orange flower water, mixing well.
4. Spread the mixture evenly over the base of the pastry case. Arrange the dates, cut side clown, on the almond mixture. Bake on the hot baking sheet for 10-15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Bake for a further 15-20 minutes until light golden and set.
5. Transfer the tart to a rack to cool. Gently heat the apricot jam, then press through a sieve. Add the remaining orange flower water.
6. Brush the tart with the jam and serve at room temperature.