Red Onion Tart With A Cornmeal Crust
|Olive oil||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Red onions||2 1⁄4 Pound, thinly sliced (1 Kilogram)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), thinly sliced|
|Chopped fresh thyme||1 Teaspoon (Plus A Few Whole Sprigs)|
|Soft dark brown sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Sherry vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Fontina cheese||8 Ounce, thinly sliced (225 Grams)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For the pastry|
|All purpose flour||4 Ounce (115 Grams, Brown / White Bread)|
|Yellow cornmeal||3 Ounce (75 Grams Or 3/4 Cups)|
|Chopped fresh thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter||3 1⁄2 Ounce, diced (90 Grams Or 7 Tablespoon)|
|Chilled water||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour and cornmeal with 5ml/l tsp salt in a bowl. Add plenty of black pepper and stir in the sugar and thyme. Rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Beat the egg yolk with 30ml/2 tbsp water and use to bind the pastry, adding more water if necessary. Gather into a ball, wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes.
2. To make the filling, heat 45ml/3 tbsp of the oil in a large, deep frying pan and add the onions. Cover and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and chopped thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Increase the heat slightly, then add the sugar and sherry vinegar. Cook, uncovered, for another 5 minutes until the onions start to caramelize slightly. Season and cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/ Gas 5. Roll out the pastry thinly and use to line a 25cm/10in loose-based flan tin (quiche pan). Prick the pastry all over with a fork and support the sides with foil. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the pastry is just lightly coloured.
5. Remove the foil and spread the onions in the base of the pastry case. Add the Fontina and season to taste. Drizzle over the remaining oil, then bake for 15-20 minutes until the filling is hot. Garnish with a few thyme sprigs and serve immediately.