Vegetarian Festive Tart
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Gram, 2 Tablespoon)|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Mushrooms||12 Ounce, roughly chopped (350 Gram, 5 Cups)|
|Dried mixed herbs||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh parsley||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||2 Ounce (50 Gram, 1 Cup)|
|Dijon mustard||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce (All Purpose, 225 Gram, 2 Cups)|
|Butter||6 Ounce (175 Gram, 3/4 Cup)|
|Parmesan cheese||4 Ounce, grated (115 Gram)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Water||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Plain flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram, 2 Tablespoon)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter, 1 1/4 Cups)|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Ounce, grated (25 Gram)|
|Cheddar cheese||3 Ounce, grated (75 Gram)|
|English mustard powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , separated|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a bowl and rub or cut in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the paprika and Parmesan cheese. Bind to a soft dough with the egg and water. Knead until smooth, wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes.
2. To make the filling, melt the butter in a pan, add the onion and cook until tender. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat to evaporate any liquid in the pan. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the herbs, white breadcrumbs and seasoning. Allow to cool. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5, with a baking sheet placed inside.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry and use to line a 23cm/9in loose-based flan tin (quiche pan), pressing it into the edges and making a narrow rim around the top. Chill.
4. To make the cheese topping, melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually blend in the milk. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheeses, mustard powder and egg yolk, and season. Beat vigorously until smooth. Whisk the egg white until it holds soft peaks, then fold into the cheese mixture.
5. Spread the mustard evenly over the pastry case. Spoon in the mushroom filling and then pour over the cheese topping. Bake on the hot baking sheet for 35-45 minutes until golden.