Kaffir Lime Tart
|Sweet shortcrust pastry dough||1 Cup (16 tbs) (1 Recipe)|
|Caster sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Freshly squeezed lime juice||7 Fluid Ounce (200 Milliliter)|
|Kaffir lime leaves/The grated rind of 3 limes||8|
|Unsalted butter||6 Ounce, softened (175 Gram)|
1. Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 23 cm (9 inch) flan tin. Prick the base with a fork and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Line the pastry case with baking paper and beans and bake in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 12-15 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden. Set aside to cool.
3. Make the filling. Put the sugar, lime juice and Kaffir lime leaves (or lime rind) in a saucepan and heat gently to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Leave to cool for 5 minutes and then strain into a clean pan.
4. Stir in the eggs, egg yolks and half the butter and heat gently, stirring, for 1 minute or until the sauce coats the back of the spoon. Add the remaining butter and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens.
5. Transfer the lime mixture to the pastry case and bake for 6-8 minutes until set. Leave to cool and serve warm dusted with icing sugar if wished.