Blushing Apple Tart
|Pie crust mix||11 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Canned applesauce||16 Ounce (1 Jar, 15 Or 16 Ounce)|
|Grated lemon peel||2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Packaged)|
|Cooking apples||3 Large|
|Currant jelly||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Red food color||2 Drop|
|Dark corn syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Toasted slivered almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Early on day:
1. Prepare piecrust mix as package label directs; then, on floured cookie sheet, roll it out into about 13-by-10-inch rectangle; to form tart sides, turn about 1/2 inch of pastry edge under, then press folded edges up so they stand about 1/2 inch high; refrigerate.
2. In small saucepan combine applesauce, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon peel, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Bring to boil; simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture measures about 1 cup. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, butter, and bread crumbs; refrigerate until cold.
3. Meanwhile, start heating oven to 375Â°F.
4. Core and pare apples; cut into 20 crosswise slices; dip in lemon juice. Spread applesauce mixture over bottom of tart shell; top with overlapping rows of apple slices.
4. Bake 35 minutes. Meanwhile, combine currant jelly with 2 or 3 drops red food color; melt over low heat; brush over apple slices; then bake tart 20 minutes longer; remove to wire rack.
5. Quickly brush top edge of tart sides with corn syrup; then arrange almonds, in slanting row, on the syrup as pictured; cool.
At serving time:
With spatula, slide tart onto serving dish. Cut into squares; serve with pie server.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2730 Calories from Fat 1096
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 124 g190.3%
Saturated Fat 31.7 g158.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.5 mg7.2%
Sodium 2490.9 mg103.8%
Total Carbohydrates 389 g129.6%
Dietary Fiber 25.7 g102.6%
Sugars 172.2 g
Protein 32 g64%
Vitamin A 14.4% Vitamin C 239.5%
Calcium 37.4% Iron 59.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet