Lime Tart Brulee
|All purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Cake flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (pastry flour)|
|Icing sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cold sweet butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut in small cubes|
|Heavy cream/Whipping cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Limes||2 , grated rind|
|Freshly squeezed lime juice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (about 6 limes)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy cream/Whipping cream||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Creme brulee||2 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||3 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a food processor, pulse flours and icing sugar for 30 seconds. Add butter and pulse until mixture is crumbly and resembles small peas. In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks and cream. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture. Pulse until dough begins to form.
3. Turn out onto a floured board. Press pastry into a disk 1-inch (2 1/2-cm) thick. Wrap and chill dough about 30 minutes, until firm enough to roll.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to about 1/4-inch (.5-cm) thick. (Reserve extra dough for another use; it may be frozen.) Line a 10-inch (25-cm) fluted tart pan with removable bottom with pastry (press pastry into pan with fingers if desired). Trim overhang. Using fork, prick bottom of pastry shell. Bake in oven 10 minutes.
5. In a mixing bowl, whisk together lime rind, juice, sugar, cream and eggs.
6. Remove tart pan from oven and place on cookie sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C). Pour filling mixture into shell. Bake in oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until filling is just set. Remove from oven and cool on rack.
7. If you have a gas oven, adjust rack to about 4 inches (10 cm) from broiler. Preheat broiler. Cover edges of pastry with foil to prevent burning. Sprinkle tart evenly with 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar. Place on rack closest to broiler and watch carefully. Broil until sugar turns golden; remove at once. Allow to cool and set again. Before serving, remove the tart by pushing straight up and away.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5797 Calories from Fat 2809
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 319 g490.3%
Saturated Fat 188 g940%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2061 mg687%
Sodium 441.1 mg18.4%
Total Carbohydrates 685 g228.2%
Dietary Fiber 19.5 g78%
Sugars 407.1 g
Protein 76 g151.6%
Vitamin A 220.3% Vitamin C 82.8%
Calcium 50.6% Iron 84.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet