Rhubarb Almond Tart
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Blanched almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||6 Tablespoon (3/8 Pound)|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Press butter pastry dough evenly over bottom and up sides of a 10-inch tart pan with removable rim.
2. Bake in a 300° oven until pale gold, about 20 minutes (about 15 minutes in a convection oven). Use hot or cool.
3. Rinse rhubarb, trim and discard dried ends, and cut stalks into 1-inch lengths. Put in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan and mix with 5 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 cup water. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir and set over medium-low heat. When water boils, turn rhubarb pieces over once and cook about 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, whirl nuts to a fine powder. To processor, add remaining sugar and the butter, eggs, and almond extract. Whirl until well blended. Or put the ground almonds in a bowl, add remaining sugar and the butter, eggs, and almond extract, and beat with a mixer until well blended.
5. Pour almond mixture into pastry. With a fork or slotted spoon, lift
rhubarb pieces from cooking liquid (save liquid for other uses) and arrange in a pattern on filling.
6. Bake in a 350° oven until filling, which rises around rhubarb, is golden brown and center is firm when pan is gently shaken, 35 to 50 minutes (25 to 40 minutes in a convection oven).
7. Let cool at least 15 minutes; remove pan rim to cut.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2503 Calories from Fat 1353
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 157 g241.9%
Saturated Fat 55.2 g276%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 616.5 mg205.5%
Sodium 208.7 mg8.7%
Total Carbohydrates 250 g83.5%
Dietary Fiber 23.2 g93%
Sugars 213 g
Protein 49 g98.5%
Vitamin A 64.2% Vitamin C 60.5%
Calcium 78% Iron 45.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet