Old Fashioned Taffy
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1) Take a small Dutch oven and mix the first five ingredients in it.
2) Cook over medium heat without any stirring until the soft crack stage of 270° is reached.
3) Remove the container from the flame and stir the vanilla in.
4) Take a jelly roll pan of 15- x 10- x 1-inch dimensions or a marble slab.
5) Butter the pan before pouring in the candy mixture.
6) Allow it to cool sufficiently so that it can be touched.
7) Pull the candy until it lightens in color or hardens.
8) Divide the candy into two portions and make a rope of 1 inch diameter by pulling it.
9) Cut it into uniform 1 inch pieces, wrap it in paper and serve the taffy.