|Granulated sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a three- or four-quart saucepan, cook the sugar, water, corn syrup and salt to 250° F. (hard ball in cold water), stirring only until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Add the cream and cook slowly, stirring as needed to prevent sticking, to 260° (almost brittle). Pour into greased pan.
3. When cool enough to handle, pour the vanilla into center and gather the corners toward it so that none will be lost. Remove taffy from the pan and pull until rather firm and a light cream color, first dipping fingers in cornstarch if necessary to prevent sticking.
4. Stretch into a long rope about three-quarters inch in diameter. Lay the rope on a greased surface and cut it at once into one-inch pieces.
5. Wrap pieces separately in foil, Saran or waxed paper.