Drunken Braised Short Rib Tacos
|Beef short ribs||5 Pound (4-5 pounds)|
|Chianti wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vodka||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Crushed tomatoes||28 Ounce (Can)|
|Low sodium beef stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flour tortillas||6 Medium|
|Radicchio||2 Cup (32 tbs), roughly shredded|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||3⁄4 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Black pepper||4 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Romaine lettuce/Rocket lettuce||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Queso fresco/Feta cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), crumbled|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
2. Drizzle a generous portion of olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
3. Season the ribs with salt and pepper on all sides. In batches, so you don’t over crowd the pan, add the ribs and brown on all sides. Set aside.
4. Add the onions and garlic and sauté, stirring often for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, wine and vodka. Bring to a boil and be sure to scrape up all the browned goodness on the bottom of the pan.
6. Return the ribs to the party and add the beef stock (chicken stock can be substituted in a pinch) cover and put in the oven for 2 1/2 hours until the meat is fall-off-the-bone ready.
7. While the ribs are doing their thing, add the red wine vinegar, sugar and a healthy pinch of salt to a medium non-reactive bowl and stir to dissolve.
8. Add the radicchio (also known as red cabbage), toss to coat, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Take out about 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve so it’s not ice cold on your fabulous tacos.
9. When the ribs are ready, remove them from the cooking liquid and set aside. Grab a large spoon and skim off any excess fat from the liquid. Bring the liquid to a simmer to reduce to a sauce consistency, if needed. Otherwise, keep the sauce warm over low heat.
10. Using two forks, shred the rib meat into small bite-sized pieces. Return the shredded meat into the sauce and stir to combine.
11. Check for seasoning and add salt / pepper to taste, if needed.
12. Just before serving, carefully heat the flour tortillas directly over a gas burner on low heat (or wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for 45 seconds to minute).
13. Lay a tortilla flat on a plate add the lettuce, then the braised shredded beef, crumbled cheese and top with the radicchio. Make sure the lettuce is first so the beef doesn’t soften the tortilla too much. Enjoy!