Vegetarian Tacos With Green Rice, Beans And Asparagus
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Red chili pepper||3 Medium|
|Onion||1 1⁄2 Large, thinly sliced (1/2 for the chipotle sauce)|
|Olive oil||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Chipotle and adobo sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (To taste)|
|Lettuce||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Cilantro||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Meat substitute||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Seitan)|
|Red hot chili pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|Pineapple chunks||1 Can (10 oz), drained and chopped|
|Pinto beans||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Asparagus spears||2 Pound|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped cilantro||3 Tablespoon|
|Avocados||4 Large, sliced|
FOR THE CHIPOTLE SAUCE
1. In a large pot, simmer the tomatoes in hot water along with the garlic and the red hot chili peppers.
2. Once cooled, peel the tomatoes and throw them in the blender with the garlic and the chilies.
3. Heat a pan and pour a tablespoon of olive oil.
4. Drop onion slices worth half an onion and fry till they are caramelized.
5. Add the caramelized onions to the blender and add a little of the liquid the tomatoes were cooked in.
6. Add the chipotle and adobo seasoning.
7. Season with salt and pepper and add the mayonnaise.
8. Pulse it into a smooth chipotle sauce.
FOR THE GREEN RICE
9. For the green rice, in a food processor pulse together the lettuce and cilantro with 2 cups of water.
10.Transfer to a pan and bring to a boil.
11.Add the rice and simmer it covered for 30 minutes.
FOR THE TACO FILLING
12.Heat a pan and pour a tablespoon of olive oil.
13.Add the chopped seitan and the red hot chili pepper flakes and saute till brown.
14.Drop the chopped pineapple and stir together to cook adding a little of the pineapple juice from the can.
15.Season with a pinch of cumin and salt to taste.
FOR THE ONIONS TO GO ON TOP OF THE TACOS
16.Heat a frying pan and add half a tablespoon olive oil in it.
17.Saute the thinly sliced onions to go on top of the tacos.Remove them from heat and set aside.
FOR THE REFRIED BEANS
18.In the same pan add a can of pinto beans. Cook for a while, mash them with the spatula and season with salt and pepper.
FOR THE GRILLED ASPARAGUS
19.For the grilled asparagus, snap off the tough ends of the asparagus and place them on a cookie sheet.
20.Drizzle olive oil and squeeze in the lemon juice and sprinkle salt to taste.
21.Place in a 400 degrees oven for 10 minutes.
22.Toast the tortillas lightly.
23.Put together the tacos by adding a little of the seitan pineapple saute on it,topped with the caramelized onions and drizzled with the chipotle sauce. Sprinkle a little cilantro and add a couple of slices of avocado. Serve alongside the green rice,refried beans and the grilled asparagus.