Microwaved Chicken Tacos
|Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|6 inch corn tortillas||8|
|Shredded chicken fillings||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shredded romaine lettuce/Shredded iceberg lettuce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced ripe tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mild cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, shredded to make 1 cup|
|Taco sauce||To Taste|
|For shredded chicken filling|
|Skinless boneless chicken breast halves||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Chicken stock/Canned broth||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
1. For the shredded chicken filling, in a 2 quart microwave safe casserole dish put the chicken, stock, bay leaf and garlic, cover it with microwave safe plastic wrap, make a few holes in it for the steam to escape and microwave at full power for 5 minutes.
2. Take it out, turn the breast upside down Turn the pieces of chicken, cover, and microwave for 2 minutes more or until the chicken is fully cooked.
3. Bring it out and let it cool down, when cool enough, tear the breasts into shreds and put it back into the broth adding the salt to taste.
4. Keep it aside for later use.
5. In a round and shallow microwave safe casserole which is about 7 to 8 inches in diameter, put the oil and microwave at full power for 5 minutes.
6. Take out the oil and check if it is hot enough by dipping a tortilla (with help of a tong), if it sizzled then it is at the right temperature (otherwise reheat for another 2 minutes).
7. Now dip the tortilla and turn it from one side of the dish to the other making sure it cooks evenly on all sides and becomes stiff while cooking.
8. When it starts becoming stiff fold it from the middle holding with the tong so it bends from the middle and looks like a taco shell.
9. Prepare all the tortillas like this and keep them on paper towels to drain off the oil.
10. You will have to reheat the oil for 2 minutes after you finish frying each taco shell as it won-€™t be hot enough.
11. Put 2 tablespoons of the shredded chicken filling in each taco shell, followed by 2 tablespoons each of the lettuce, tomatoes and cheddar cheese and top with the taco sauce.
(If you want the tacos to be hot you can reheat it for a minute before filling).
12. Serve immediately with shredded lettuce and you can add more cheese of different varieties like montery jack, parmesan or even fried sweet pepper and zucchini juliennes to make it more flavourful.
Calories 872 Calories from Fat 406
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.1%
Saturated Fat 12.7 g63.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 206.2 mg68.7%
Sodium 1142.1 mg47.6%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.3%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 68 g136.4%
Vitamin A 21.4% Vitamin C 14%
Calcium 29.6% Iron 18%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet