1) In a bowl, sift the flour with baking powder, sugar, and salt.
2) In another bowl, whip the egg for a minute, and then add milk to it.
3) Add this egg mixture to the flour, along with melted butter and beat for at least 3 minutes till a smooth sauce. (A rotary beater is best for this.)
4) Wee heat the girdle and then cook the pancakes on it till golden-brown on each side.
5) Note: the pancakes can be made thick or thin. To thin the batter, just add a little extra milk.
6) When the pancakes appear to be puffy, turn the pancakes as soon as they are puffy and full of bubbles, but remember that if the pancakes are to be really light, then you need to turn them before the bubbles break.
7) Serve in stacks of 3-4 per person.
8) Top with pats of unsalted butter and serve with a jug of maple syrup.