Sweetbreads A La King
|Sweetbreads||1 Pound, uncooked|
|Butter/Oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped green pepper||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sliced mushrooms||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped pimiento||2 Tablespoon|
1. Place sweetbreads in a heavy bottomed saucepan and cover with cold water. Add 2 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
2. Drain the sweetbreads and cool slightly.
3. Clean sweetbreads by removing the loose membranes.
4. On a meat board, dice the sweetbreads into cubes. Empty in a side bowl.
5. Heat a skillet on medium flame.
6. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add green pepper and sliced mushrooms to the butter and sauté till soft. Remove to side bowl.
7. To the same skillet, melt ¼ cup butter and add flour. Sauté slightly till flour cooks.
8. Take skillet off the heat and stir in milk to form a smooth sauce.
9. Return skillet to heat. Cook the sauce, stirring continuously until thickened.
10. To the sauce, add sautéed pepper, mushrooms and diced sweetbreads.
11. Allow the sauce to simmer gently till sweetbreads are heated, stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce from burning.
12. Serve sweetbreads over hot buttered toast, cornbread or in pastry shell.
Calories 894 Calories from Fat 462
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g80.2%
Saturated Fat 29.6 g148.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1155.3 mg385.1%
Sodium 1939.2 mg80.8%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.4%
Sugars 12.9 g
Protein 82 g163.2%
Vitamin A 35.8% Vitamin C 51.4%
Calcium 27.2% Iron 6.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet