Sweetbreads au Porto
|Veal sweetbreads||2 Pound|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Sweet butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onions||2 , finely chopped|
|Thinly sliced mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Pinch|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Beef stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Port||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a bowl of ice water, soak the sweetbreads for 30 minutes. Drain and place in large saucepan. Pour boiling water over to cover. Add lemon juice, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes, until tender.
2. Drain and cool immediately in ice-cold water. Remove all connective tissue and membrane. Slice into 1/2-inch (1-cm) slices. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt 1/4 cup (50 ml) butter. Add onions and saute until softened. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper; saute until mushrooms are lightly browned.
4. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir until all is absorbed. Slowly add stock, stirring constantly over medium heat until smooth. Add Port and bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
5. While sauce is simmering, dredge sweetbread slices in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, melt remaining butter. Add sweetbreads and saute in batches, if necessary, about 4 minutes, turning until golden brown on both sides.
6. Remove to a warm serving platter; cover to keep warm. Serve sauce with sweetbreads.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2850 Calories from Fat 1208
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 137 g210.1%
Saturated Fat 75.1 g375.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 681.4 mg227.1%
Sodium 4624.3 mg192.7%
Total Carbohydrates 83 g27.7%
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g27.8%
Sugars 13.5 g
Protein 296 g592.3%
Vitamin A 60.9% Vitamin C 47.6%
Calcium 13.2% Iron 26.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet