|Soft brown sugar||4 Ounce|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Malted drinking chocolate powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Caster sugar||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Desiccated coconut||2 Ounce|
|Walnuts||2 Ounce, chopped|
|Malted drinking chocolate powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Instant coffee powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft margarine||1⁄2 Ounce (tub type)|
|Hot water||2 Tablespoon|
|Sifted icing sugar||1⁄2 Pound|
|Vanilla essence||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Into a bowl, sift 6 ounces of flour, add the butter in pieces and rub into the flour till the mixture gets the appearance of fine breadcrumbs.
3) Add the brown sugar, stir well and then press the mixture into a shallow square cake tin of 7 ½ inches.
4) Prick the surface of the mixture.
5) Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
6) Take the preparation out of the oven.
7) Sift the remaining flour and baking powder together and then blend well with all the remaining ingredients.
8) Evenly spread the mixture over the pastry in the tin.
9) Bake for another 25 to 35 minutes.
10) Let the pastry cool in the tin.
11) Cut the cake into 16 squares.
12) If you wish to freeze the cake pieces, it needs to be done at this point. Flash freeze till firm, pack in a rigid container (separating each layer with foil), seal, label and freeze.
13) To prepare the icing, mix together the malted drinking chocolate and instant coffee powders to make a paste, with the hot water.
14) Add the icing sugar and margarine and beat well till smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. If required, add some water to give the mixture a spreading consistency.
15) If using frozen cake pieces, first thaw them at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours and then make the icing as directed in Steps 13 and 14.
16) Spread the icing all over the cake pieces and set aside to set.
17) Transfer the prepared pieces of cake to a decorative serving platter and serve slightly chilled or at room temperature. Makes a good dessert.