Winter Forest Christmas Trees
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Confectioners sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|For decorating icing|
|Confectioners sugar||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs), sifted|
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Light green food color||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Mint extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Coarse decorating sugar||2 Tablespoon (white, adjust quantity as needed)|
|For royal icing|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sifted|
|Water||2 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Meringue powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Food coloring paste||4 Tablespoon (yellow and red paste, adjust quantity as needed)|
1. In large bowl cream butter and confectioners-€™ sugar until fluffy and beat adding egg and vanilla until smooth.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar and stir in dry ingredients to creamed mixture until a soft dough forms.
3. Divide dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 3 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. On a lightly floured surface using a floured rolling pin roll out half of dough to 1/8-inch thickness.
6. Use a 3 x 5 1/4-inch tree-shaped cookie cutter to cut out cookies.
7. To a lightly greased baking sheet transfer cookies and bake 5 to 7 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned.
8. Keep waxed paper underneath and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
9. Repeat with remaining dough.
10. For decorating icing, in a medium bowl stir confectioners sugar, milk, food coloring and mint extract until smooth.
11. Ice cookies and before it is completely dry, sprinkle with coarse decorating sugar letting it to harden.
12. For royal icing, in a small bowl with an electric mixer beat confectioners sugar, water, and meringue powder 7 to 10 minutes or until stiff.
13. In a small bowl place 2 tablespoons icing tint yellow and tint remaining icing red.
14. Into a pastry bag fitted with a medium round tip spoon red icing.
15. Pipe red birds onto trees.
16. Spoon yellow icing into a pastry bag fitted with a very small round tip and pipe small beaks onto birds.
17. Allow icing to harden and store in single layers between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container.
18. Serve as snacks alongside beverages or as desired.