Drop Sugar Cookies
|Butter/Margarine / shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Sifted flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (For Tops)|
1. Start oven, set at Moderate, 375° F. Rub baking sheets with margarine or shortening.
2. Let the butter, margarine or shortening stand at room temperature until soft. Beat in the sugar, egg, milk and vanilla.
3. Sift the salt, baking powder and flour together and add to the creamed mixture. Mix thoroughly.
4. Drop from a teaspoon 1 inch apart on the baking sheets.
5. Or add enough more sifted flour (about 1/4 cup) to make the mixture stiff enough to roll out. Cover the dough with waxed paper and let chill in the refrigerator 1 hour or more. Roll 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Cut out with floured cookie cutter and arrange on the cookie sheets. Sprinkle the cookies with sugar.
6. Bake about 8 minutes, until delicately browned. Remove from baking sheets at once with a spatula and let cool on a wire cake rack. Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between the layers.