Burnt Sugar Blondies
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter||6 Tablespoon, softened|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, 1/4 cup boiling water, and lemon juice. Heat to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is golden brown. Immediately remove from heat and very carefully stir in remaining 1/4 cup boiling water. Pour caramel into a 2-cup glass measuring cup. If necessary, stir in enough cold water to make 2/3 cup. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch square pan. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter, egg, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add flour mixture and 2/3 cup cooled caramel; beat on low speed until batter is smooth, scraping down side of bowl frequently with a rubber spatula.
4. Fold in 3/4 cup walnuts. Turn batter into prepared pan, leveling surface. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup nuts over top.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out dean. Remove pan to a rack, cut into 16 squares, and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container or wrap well and refrigerate.