|Salad oil||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , unbeaten|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Ornamental frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Make several days ahead or early on day:
1. In large bowl combine salad oil and sugar. With mixer at medium speed, beat until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then, with mixer at low speed blend in lemon peel and juice.
2. Sift flour with baking powder, salt, and mace-Beat into batter until well blended. Refrigerate at least one hour wrapped in foil or saran.
3. Start heating oven to 375Â°F.
4. On lighdy floured surface, roll out dough, one-third at a time, to about 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with floured cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
5. Bake 7 to 10 minutes, or until light browned.
6. Remove from cookie sheeets; cool on wire racks.
7. Meanwhile, make Ornamental Frosting. Divide frosting into three bowls; tint one green, one red, and leave one white. Decorate cookies as desired, either by spreading frosting on cookies with small spatula, or by putting some frosting through decorating tube with small, round (number 2) decorating tip. Frosting on cookies becomes very hard when dry. Store in loosely-covered container. Makes about 5 to 6 dozen.
Starry delights: Make Sugar Shapes dough as above, but cut with small star-shaped cutter in step 4. Tint Ornamental Frosting red before using to frost stars.
Ornamental frosting: Into medium bowl sift 1 1-pound package confectioners' sugar with 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar. With mixer at medium speed, mix in 3 egg whites, then 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat until so stiff that knife drawn through mixture leaves clean-cut path. Cover with a damp cloth.