Crispy Sugar Cookies With Shortening
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Cream together the shortening and sugar and mix in the egg. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk and lemon extract and blend. Chill the dough overnight.
3. Preheat oven to hot (400° F.).
4. Roll the dough to five-eighths inch thickness on a floured pastry cloth. With floured springerle boards or rolling pin, press out the desired shapes and cut apart with a floured knife.
5. Transfer to greased cookie sheets and bake seven to ten minutes.