Rich New England Clam Chowder
|Quahog clams/2 7 1/2-ounce cans clams or 1 pint shucked clams||2 Dozen|
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Diced peeled potatoes||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Light cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
For Separating the Shells:
1. Place clams in a large kettle; add 1-cup water.
2. Cover and bring to boiling.
3. Reduce heat; steam just until shells open, 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Remove clams from shell. Dice clams; strain liquid, reserving 16 cup.
5. Fry salt pork until crisp.
6. Remove bits of pork; reserve.
7. Add 16-cup clam liquid, 11/2 cups water, potatoes, and onion to fat.
8. Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Add clams 13/4 cups milk, and cream.
10. Blend remaining milk and flour; stir in to chowder.
11. Cook and stir until boiling.
12. Add salt and dash pepper; top with salt pork.