|Sweet shortcrust pastry||350 Gram (homemade or frozen packaged pastry dough)|
|Raspberry jam||2 Tablespoon|
|Soft butter||60 Gram (plus a little extra for greasing)|
|Caster sugar||60 Gram|
|Almond flour||30 Gram (almond meal)|
|Self-raising flour||30 Gram (plus a touch for dusting)|
|Almond essence||6 Drop|
1) Rest the shortcut pastry for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
2) Lightly grease a bun tin with a touch of butter.
3) Break an egg into a small jug or cup and beat well.
4) Pre-heat the oven to 175°C (Gas Mark 3).
5) Lightly dust your work surface and rolling pin with a touch of flour and gently roll out the pastry until it’s nice and thin.
6) Take a pastry cutter and cut out 8cm circles.
7) Neatly line the bun tin with the circles of pastry, in the centre of each one, spoon in a small amount of jam and keep aside.
8) In a mixing bowl cream together butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy and pale in color.
9) Whisking constantly slowly add the beaten egg a little at a time
10) When all the egg has been incorporated, add a few drops of almond essence for a little extra flavor.
11) Sieve the flour and ground almonds into the mixture in the bowl and fold in using a metal spoon or spatula.
12) Spoon the mixture into the prepared tart cases (about 1 well-heaped teaspoon in each, ensuring the jam is covered).
13) Sprinkle a few flaked almonds on the top of each tart.
14) Place tarts in the centre of the pre-heated oven and bake for about 25 minutes until the tarts are just firm to touch and the pastry is a light golden brown and crispy.
15) Remove the congress / bakewell tarts from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then transfer the tarts on to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
15) Serve as petite fours at a tea party or as dessert with coffee.
Calories 328 Calories from Fat 75
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.7%
Saturated Fat 0.26 g1.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.2 mg11.7%
Sodium 11.7 mg0.5%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.08 g0.32%
Sugars 13.1 g
Protein 4 g8.2%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C
Calcium 0.4% Iron 0.85%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet