|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Plain pastry||1 (For 2-Crust 9-Inch Pie)|
|Milk/Egg yolk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Required)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2) In saucepan, blend the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
3) Stir in water, lemon peel and juice.
4) Add the raisins, stir continuously and cook until thick and bubbly; allow to cool.
5) Cut out twelve 5-inch circles from the rolled Plain Pastry.
6) Spoon about 1 tablespoon raisin mixture on half of each pastry circle.
7) Brush the edges with water, then fold over and press together with a fork.
8) Brush the pastry surface with milk or slightly beaten egg yolk.
9) Cut out slit on the top and place the tarts on a cookie sheet.
10) Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned.
11) Serve the Banbury Tarts on a serving platter.