Bubble and Squeak Bake
|Green cabbage||1 Pound, shredded|
|Potatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled, boiled and mashed with milk and butter|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled, finely chopped|
|Tomatoes||2 , peeled and chopped|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Cheddar cheese||3 Ounce, grated|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) Lightly coat the bottom of the ovenproof dish with 1oz. of butter.
3) In a pot, cook the cabbage in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
4) Strain the cabbage and chop finely.
5) In a bowl, place the cabbage, potatoes, onion, tomatoes and seasoning.
6) Stir the cabbage mixture well.
7) Place the cabbage mixture into a ovenproof dish.
8) Dredge the top with cheese.
9) Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until browned all over.
10) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Wrap the cooled dish with foil and pack in freezer bag.
11) Seal, label and freeze the bag.
12) Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
13) If using the frozen potatoes take off the wrappings and thaw at room temperature for 3 hours.
14) Reheat in a preheated moderately hot oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.