Seasoned Steak And Kidney Pudding
|Chuck steak||1 Pound, trimmed of fat and cut into cubes (450g)|
|Ox kidney||1⁄2 Pound, skin and cores removed and cut into cubes (225 g)|
|Flour||15 Milliliter (1 tablespoon)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Dripping/Lard||2 Ounce (50 g)|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled and chopped|
|Beef stock||1⁄4 Pint (150ml)|
|Self raising flour||1⁄2 Pound (225g)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (5 ml)|
|Suet||4 Ounce, shredded (100g)|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint (150 ml)|
1. To prepare the coat the steak and kidney in the flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
2. In a pan, melt the fat add the meat and fry briskly until browned on all sides.
3. Cook adding the onion for 2 minutes, then gradually stir in the stock.
4. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
5. With cover cook gently for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender and leave to cool.
6. To make the pastry sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then stir in the suet.
7. Add the water gradually, to give a soft, but not sticky, dough and knead lightly until smooth.
8. On a floured board roll out two-thirds of the dough and use to line a lightly greased 1.2 litre/2 pint/5 cup pudding or foil basin (steaming mold).
9. Spoon in the meat and gravy mixture, moisten the edge of the dough with water, then cover with a lid made from the remaining dough.
10. Press the edges firmly together to seal.
11. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Wrap in foil, seal, label and freeze.
12. Serve the dish (regular recipe).
13. To serve the frozen dish, thaw leaving in wrappings overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat gently on top of the stove, stirring occasionally.
14. Removing wrappings cover the top of the basin (mold) with buttered foil.
15. Make a pleat in the centre of the foil to allow for expansion, then tie string around the basin (mold) to secure the foil and steam for 2 hours.
16. Serve from the basin with a napkin wrapped around the outside.
Calories 1059 Calories from Fat 537
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g92.2%
Saturated Fat 28.4 g142%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 108.6 mg36.2%
Sodium 1640.3 mg68.3%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.2%
Dietary Fiber 11.6 g46.6%
Sugars 4.8 g
Protein 39 g77.3%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 14%
Calcium 26.2% Iron 44.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet