English Beef And Mushroom Pie
|Beef chuck||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 , skinned and sliced|
|Beef stock/Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Needed)|
|Small mushrooms/Water||1⁄4 Pound (As Needed)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried marjoram||1 Teaspoon|
|Puff pastry||1⁄2 Pound|
|Egg||1 , beaten (For Glaze)|
1. Cut meat into small cubes or pieces.
2. Season flour with salt and pepper, and coat the meat cubes with it.
3. Put the meat and onion in a heavy pan, and add enough stock or water to just cover.
4. Heat to the boiling point, reduce the heat and cover.
5. Simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until meat cubes are tender.
6. Transfer meat and onion to a 2 1/2-pint casserole.
7. Add mushrooms and herbs.
8. Pour in enough liquid from the pan to fill half the casserole.
9. Cool until lukewarm.
10. Heat oven to 425°F.
11. Roll the pastry to 1/8 inch thickness and place over the meat, sealing it to the sides of the casserole.
12. Cut a small hole in the center for escape of steam.
13. Roll a small strip of pastry jelly-roll fashion, to fill the hole after baking.
14. If you wish, cut trimmings of pastry into leaf shapes and place on the crust to decorate it.
15. Brush crust with beaten egg.
16. Bake 20 minutes.
17. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake 10 minutes longer, together with small pastry roll.