Raised English Tea Cakes
|Caraway seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|White sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Light cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Lukewarm)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light cream||2 Tablespoon (For Brushing Buns)|
1. Bruise caraway seeds with 2 teaspoons sugar in a small bowl to blend flavors. Keep aside.
2. In a warmed bowl, stir yeast with remaining sugar, 3 tablespoons cream and 2 tablespoons flour. Leave in a warm place until bubbly.
3. Re-sift remaining flour with the salt into a mixing bowl.
4. Rub in butter.
5. Work yeast mixture into flour-butter mixture, adding enough cream to make a soft, yet not sticky, dough.
6. Knead the dough in the bowl until firm and elastic.
7. Turn onto a floured board. Shape into 8 equal-sized smooth dough balls.
8. Place balls well apart on cookie sheet.
9. Cover loosely with wax paper. Leave until risen and puffy.
10. Heat oven to 375°F.
11. Brush tops of risen buns with a little cream. Sprinkle with sugar and seeds.
12. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until risen and pale brown. Serve warm.