Basic English Apple Sauce
|Fresh lemon||1 (use rind)|
|Apple cider||60 Cup (960 tbs)|
|Sweet apple cider||60 Milliliter (1/4 cup)|
|Tart firm apples||6 Large (Rome Beauties, Greenings)|
|Cinnamon stick||2 Inch|
|Citron||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced|
|Citron||60 Gram, diced to make 1/4 cup|
|Fine white sugar||To Taste (superfine grind)|
|White sugar||To Taste|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter||30 Gram (2 tablespoon)|
|Nutmeg||To Taste, ground|
|Freshly ground nutmeg||To Taste|
1) Thinly scrape or slice off the lemon rind, mince finely.
2) In a small bowl, soak the rind in 2 tablespoons of the apple cider.
3) Peel and slice the apples without coring, into 3/8-inch-thick discs; reserve the skin.
4) Brush a 3 1/2-cup metal baking pan with butter.
5) In the prepared pan, arrange the apple slices in layers and place
the cinnamon stick between the layers.
6) Add half the citron and minced lemon rind with its soaking cider.
7) Place the apple skins, with the cut side down, on top of the apples, overlapping to form sealing lid.
8) Drizzle over the remaining cider, cover the pan with aluminum foil.
9) In a 3-quart pressure cooker, pour 3/4 cup hot water, place the base rack and set the baking pan over it.
10) Place the lid, bring up the pressure to 15 pounds and cook for 8 minutes.
11) Turn off the heat and allow the pressure lower gradually in about 5 minutes.
12) Discard the apple peelings and cinnamon stick.
13) Stir in the sugar to taste and ground cinnamon, if desired, mashing the the apples coarsely.
14) Beat in the chopped citron, butter and nutmeg to taste with a wooden fork.
15) Use as required or serve with the pork loin or the spareribs or English-style roast goose.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 9214 Calories from Fat 259
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.8%
Saturated Fat 16.7 g83.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.5 mg21.5%
Sodium 671 mg28%
Total Carbohydrates 2252 g750.7%
Dietary Fiber 70.2 g281%
Sugars 1965.3 g
Protein 9 g17.8%
Vitamin A 43% Vitamin C 372.9%
Calcium 36.4% Iron 281.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet