Old English Steak And Kidney Pie
|Round steak||2 Pound|
|Peeled white onions||1 1⁄2 Pound, small, halved|
|Sliced fresh mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound|
|Carrot||1 , pared and grated|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown gravy mix||1 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Crumbled thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|For meat pie pastry|
|Hot water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven at 400Â°.
2. In a saucepan, soak the kidney in lightly salted water to cover overnight. Drain.
3. Cut them into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Slice out tubes and white membrane.
4. Take a large bowl and dice meat in it.
5. Slice steak into 1/2--inch cubes. In a bowl, place the steak with kidney.
6. Add onions, mushrooms, carrot and parsley. Dust gravy mix, salt, thyme, pepper and allspice on the top. Toss well.
7. Prepare meat-pie pastry.
8. Roll out about 2/3 on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board to a circle 3 inches larger than an 8-cup shallow baking dish.
9. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch. Add the meat mixture on the top of the dish.
10. Combine hot water and Worcestershire sauce in a 1-cup measure.
11. Spread the mixture over meats and vegetables.
12. Roll out remaining pastry to a circle 2 inches larger than baking dish.
13. Slice out a 2-inch circle from center with pastry wheel or cookie cutter, or cut several slits in top to let steam escape. Cover the pie.
14. Trim overhang to 1 inch; turn under. Flush with rim; flute.
15. In a cup, beat egg slightly along with milk. Brush on the top pie crust.
16. Roll out pastry trimmings 1/4 inch thick; cut into fancy shapes with truffle cutters.
17. Arrange cutouts on top of pie; brush with egg mixture.
18. Place in the oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 300Â° and bake for additional two hours and 20 minutes.
19. Brush again with egg mixture. Bake for 30 minutes longer or until the meat is softer.
20. Let stand about 10 minutes to cool.
21. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and serve in 8 wedges.