Seasoned New England Clam Chowder
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound, cubed|
|Onions||2 Small, minced|
|Shucked clams||1 Quart|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Required)|
|Salt||To Taste (If Needed)|
|Canned evaporated milk||29 Ounce (2 Cans 14 1/2-Ounce Each)|
|Crackers||8 , split|
|Cold milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Fry salt pork in deep kettle until golden brown.
2. Add onions and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Remove stomach from clams, chop hard parts and leave soft parts whole or chop them, as preferred.
4. Arrange potatoes and hard parts of clams in layers over onions, cover with cold water, heat to boiling and simmer until potatoes are soft.
5. Add soft part of clams, seasonings and evaporated milk.
6. Heat to boiling and add crackers softened in cold milk.
7. Heat thoroughly.
Calories 952 Calories from Fat 368
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.6%
Saturated Fat 19.3 g96.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 170.2 mg56.7%
Sodium 1838.1 mg76.6%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.4%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g34.7%
Sugars 28.9 g
Protein 50 g99.7%
Vitamin A 27% Vitamin C 127.7%
Calcium 73.8% Iron 43.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet