Old English Cider Cake With Cream Cheese and Ginger Topping
|Butter/Margarine||4 Ounce, softened (100 Gram, plus 5 Milliliter or 1 teaspoon to grease tin)|
|Soft brown sugar||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Eggs||2 Medium, beaten|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce, sifted|
|Baking powder||5 Milliliter|
|Ground nutmeg||5 Milliliter|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry cider||150 Milliliter|
|Cream cheese||4 Ounce, softened|
|Icing sugar||4 Ounce|
|Ground ginger||5 Milliliter|
|Crystallized ginger||1 Ounce, finely chopped|
1. Let the oven heat to 375°F (190°C/Gas 5) and grease and line a 900 g (21b) loaf tin.
2. Cream the fat and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs, beating hard between each addition.
4. Using a metal spoon, fold in the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and ginger and mix well.
5. Lastly, stir in the cider.
6. Into the prepared tin pour and let it bake for 40-45 minutes until light golden and firm.
7. Take out of the oven and turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
8. For the topping, beat all the ingredients together until very smooth.
9. Spread over the top of the cake.
10. Draw the prongs of a fork through the topping to make a pattern.