English Fruit Cake
|Currants||10 Ounce (1 Box)|
|Raisins||15 Ounce (1 Box)|
|Citron||4 Ounce, chopped|
|Candied cherries||3 1⁄2 Ounce, candied|
|Canned walnuts||8 Ounce, chopped (1 Can)|
|Brandy/Rum||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Apricot preserves||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), strained|
|Almond paste||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Icing||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Prepare a 9-by-3-inch springform pan.
2. In a large bowl, toss currants, raisins, citron, cherries and walnuts with 1/2 cup brandy until well mixed.
3. Preheat oven to 275°F. Sift together flour, nutmeg and cinnamon; set aside.
4. In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat until very light and fluffy.
5. At low speed, beat in flour mixture (in fourths) alternately with remaining 1/2 cup brandy (in thirds), beginning and ending with flour mixture.
6. Pour batter over fruit mixture; mix until well combined. Turn into prepared pan.
7. On low rack in oven, bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean.
8. Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan, and peel off paper. Wrap fruitcake in brandy-soaked cheesecloth, then in foil; store for several weeks. (Resoak the cheesecloth in brandy several times, as necessary.)
9. Before serving: Brush top of cake with apricot preserves. Roll almond paste between two sheets of waxed paper into a 9-inch circle. Remove top sheet of paper. Invert paste onto cake; remove paper. With sharp knife, trim edge of paste; then press paste to cake.
10. Make Royal Icing. With spatula, spread an even layer smoothly on top and side of cake. Fill pastry bag with icing, using number-1 writing tip. Pipe diagonal lines 1/2 inch apart all around the cake. Then starting at the top of each line, pipe another line diagonally in other direction to form diamonds.
11. For top and bottom edge:Fill pastry bag with icing, using number-4 star tip. Pipe rosettes all around the bottom. Using the same pastry bag, make niching around top edge of cake.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 9730 Calories from Fat 3823
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 446 g685.9%
Saturated Fat 149.9 g749.7%
Trans Fat 7.2 g
Cholesterol 1541.2 mg513.7%
Sodium 732 mg30.5%
Total Carbohydrates 1259 g419.8%
Dietary Fiber 65.8 g263.1%
Sugars 845.1 g
Protein 132 g264.4%
Vitamin A 166.8% Vitamin C 397.6%
Calcium 121.2% Iron 212.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet