Healthy Corn Chowder
|Corn ears||6 , kernels extracted, 3 cobs retained|
|Butter/Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Yellow onion||1 Small|
|Garlic cloves||2 , minced|
|Thyme sprigs||4 , finely chopped|
|Celery stalk||1 , chopped|
|Carrot||1 Large, chopped|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Red potatoes||3 , peeled, diced|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Crumbled bacon||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a pan, heat butter, add onion, garlic thyme, cook for about 8 minutes until the onions turn translucent, stir constantly.
2. Add celery and carrot, saute for another 4 to 5 minutes until the vegetables turn soft.
3. Add flour, saute for another couple of minutes. Whisk in the vegetable broth. Add in the retained corn cobs, bay leaves, allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.Discard the cobs and the bay leaves.
4. Add potatoes, bring back to a rolling boil. Cook for about 6 minutes, boiling hard, until potatoes start to soften. Add cream and corn kernels, bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Garnish with bacon and parsley, serve.
To make the preparation low fat, replace broth and cream with 6 cups of low fat milk.
Add bell pepper, if desired.
Calories 809 Calories from Fat 436
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 50 g76.5%
Saturated Fat 30 g149.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 174.2 mg58.1%
Sodium 741.2 mg30.9%
Total Carbohydrates 89 g29.6%
Dietary Fiber 10.8 g43.2%
Sugars 10.5 g
Protein 14 g28.3%
Vitamin A 113.8% Vitamin C 75.6%
Calcium 13.2% Iron 19.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet