English Tea Cakes
|Regular all purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Soft butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , unbeaten|
|Chopped citron||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Currants/Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , slightly beaten|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, mix shortening, butter, sugar, and egg until creamy. Add milk, citron, currants, and flour mixture; mix well. Refrigerate.
3. Start heating oven to 400Â°F.
4. Roll dough into balls the size of walnuts. Dip tops in egg white, then sugar. Place, sugared sides up, 2 inches apart, on greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
6. Cool on wire rack; store. These keep well. Makes about 3 dozen.