English Tea Cakes
|Regular all purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Soft butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , unbeaten|
|Chopped citron||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Currants/Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , slightly beaten|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, mix shortening, butter, sugar, and egg until creamy. Add milk, citron, currants, and flour mixture; mix well. Refrigerate.
3. Start heating oven to 400Â°F.
4. Roll dough into balls the size of walnuts. Dip tops in egg white, then sugar. Place, sugared sides up, 2 inches apart, on greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
6. Cool on wire rack; store. These keep well. Makes about 3 dozen.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2455 Calories from Fat 935
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 106 g163.2%
Saturated Fat 44.7 g223.5%
Trans Fat 6.7 g
Cholesterol 338 mg112.7%
Sodium 1226.6 mg51.1%
Total Carbohydrates 349 g116.3%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g38.1%
Sugars 173.3 g
Protein 35 g70.1%
Vitamin A 35% Vitamin C 58.9%
Calcium 71.3% Iron 71.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet