Easy English Muffins
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), scalded|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry granular yeast/1 cake compressed yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs) (Regular Variety)|
|Corn flakes/1/2 cup corn flakes crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Combine milk, sugar, salt and butter; cool to lukewarm.
2. Soften yeast in water in warm large bowl. Stir in lukewarm milk mixture. Add 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Mix in enough additional flour to make soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board. Knead about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
3. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place about 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk. Punch down and divide dough in half.
4. If using Corn Flakes, crush into fine crumbs. On board heavily sprinkled with Corn Flake Crumbs, roll each portion of dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut out muffins with a round biscuit cutter. Place carefully on lightly greased baking sheets; cover and let rise about 30 minutes.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350° F.) about 18 minutes or until nicely browned. Cool. Just before serving, carefully slice muffins in half crosswise with a serrated knife; brush cut surfaces with melted butter; broil or grill about 2 minutes or until toasted.