Cornmeal Cheese English Muffins
|Dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Honey||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Frozen corn kernels||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unbleached all-purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Cornmeal||50 Teaspoon (1 Cup Plus 2 Teaspoon)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Blue cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), crumbled|
|Egg white||1 Large|
|Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Part skim ricotta cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped scallions||2 Tablespoon|
1. Place the yeast in a small cup, add 1/4 cup warm water (105-115°) and 1/2 tablespoon of the honey and set aside for about 5 minutes, or until foamy.
2. Meanwhile, place the corn in a food processor and process for about 10 seconds, or until chopped. Remove about half of the corn and set aside. Add 1 1/4 cups of the all-purpose flour, 1 cup of the cornmeal, the whole-wheat flour, blue cheese, egg white, oil, salt and pepper to the food processor and cover it.
3. After 5 minutes, stir the yeast mixture. Start the food processor, pour in the yeast mixture through the feed tube and process about 40 seconds. Add the reserved chopped corn kernels and process another 5 seconds; the dough should form a ball.
4. Place the dough in a medium-size bowl, cover it with a kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place to rise 1 hour, or until the dough is doubled in bulk.
5. Sprinkle a baking sheet with the remaining 2 teaspoons of cornmeal.
6. Punch down the dough and on a lightly floured board roll it out to a 3/8-inch thickness. Using a 3 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 6 rounds of dough. Transfer the muffins to the baking sheet, cover with a towel and set aside in a warm place to rise 25 minutes, or until the muffins are about 1 1/2 times their original size.
7. Heat a medium-size nonstick skillet over medium heat. Using a metal spatula place 3 muffins in the skillet and cook about 6 minutes, or until the bottoms of the muffins are golden brown. Turn the muffins and cook another 6 minutes. Transfer the cooked muffins to a wire rack to cool and cook the remaining muffins in the same fashion.